Environmental Advisory Council
MEETING DATE: April 25, 2017
EAC Members: Earl Cram, Michelle Garg, Mary Ellen Heisey, Tom Heisey, Steve Kunz, Jerry O’Dell, & Michael Roscoe
Board of Supervisors (BOS): Martha Majewski, Susan Guerette & Fred Perry
Public Participation: Steve Saffier, Dorothy Bedford, Bob Cooney & Morris Quigg
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm. Meeting adjourned at 8:57pm.
- EAC Meeting Summary Approval
- The meeting summary of the February 2017 meeting was read and approved.
- Mr. O’Dell announced Great American Cleanup: Pickering Preserve, April 29th 8:00 – 10:00 am.
- Mr. O’Dell announced he will attend the Environmental Advisory Council Network 2017 Conference: May 6, 2017 at Doubletree Resort, Lancaster, PA.
- Public Participation
- Steve Saffier, Audubon Pennsylvania Bird Town Coordinator announced that there are 26 Bird Towns across in Pennsylvania and that he is visiting each of the 26 EACs to encourage active participation in the program. He reviewed the Jumpstart 2017 program to inspire and promote Bird Town. He mentioned that the BirdTownPA Blog spot website and Twitter are Bird Town’s social media points.
- Reports/Updates on Ongoing Business
- Bird Town
- Ms. Heisey announced some spring cleaning occurred for the Township’s raingarden.
- Environmental Resources Inventory (ERI)
- Great American Cleanup
- Date April 29, 2017 from 8-10. EAC will clean up the Pickering Preserve.
- Pickering Preserve
- Great American Clean Up on 29April2017 at 8-10am.
- Name Unnamed Streams Project
- Ms. Bedford reviewed the Historical Commission’s endorsed names for the 13 stream names for this project. Next steps will be reviewed and discussed at the next HC meeting.
- Trails Committee
- The multi-municipal multimodal map committee meeting will be held on 11May2017.
- Public meeting on 25May2017 from 5-8pm at colonial theatre.
- Valley Park
- Mr. O’Dell announced that the phragmites were mowed once this year.
- Native Plant List
- Mr. Heisey announced that the sub-team met and made all updates/corrections. The final updated draft list will be ready for EAC review at the next meeting.
- Nolen Property- Pawlings Road
- Pohlig Builders - Reeves Property/Planned Residential Development (PRD)
- The University of Valley Forge Conference Center
- Chester County Intermediate Unit at the Technical College High School
- New / Other Business
- Mr. O’Dell reviewed the discussion from the April 19th planning commission meeting conditional use application for proposed WaWa. Mr. O’Dell will notify the township manager that the EAC would like the WaWa to present to the EAC in the near term.
- Riparian Buffer Ordinance
- Mr. O’Dell announced that Ed Theurauf would like to present to the EAC their overview on improving municipal Riparian Buffer Ordinances. Mr. Kunz will review the proposal and advise the outcome.
- Conservation Easement Agreement
- Freedoms Foundation Medal of Honor Grove.
- Mr. Perry announced that the 41.5 acres are now part of the Township Open Space Conservation.
- Township Forum
- Forum agenda held 23Mar2017
- EAC agreed the presentation and turnout was excellent.