Environmental Advisory Council
MEETING DATE: February 23, 2016
EAC Members: Earl Cram, Michelle Garg, Mary Ellen Heisey, Steve Kunz, Jerry O’Dell & Mike Roscoe.
Board of Supervisors (BOS): Jim Morrisson & Martha Majewski
Public participation: None
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm. Meeting adjourned at 9:20pm.
- EAC Meeting Summary Approval
- The meeting summary of the January 2016 meeting was read and approved.
Reports/Updates on Ongoing Business
- Mr. O’Dell announced that the Medal of Honor Grove spring clean-up scheduled for 14May2016.
- Mr. O’Dell announced that the Schuylkill water congress will be held on 12Mar in MCCC Pottstown campus. It is an all-day event.
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the township developed an ordinance committee to update ordinances and the initial meeting was held on 09Feb2016.
- Bird Town -
- Ms. Heisey announced the annual meeting is TBD.
- Environmental Resources Inventory (ERI) -
- Pickering Creek Re-designation Evaluation -
- Mr. Kunz waits to hear from DEP regarding the re-designation request.
- Pickering Preserve -
- Chester County Master Watershed Steward Training Program -
- Mr. Cram applied and was accepted to the program. He also announced that applications are still being accepted.
- Trails -
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the last Public Sidewalk Feasibility Study Meeting was held on Feb 2nd. Approximately 40 residents attended with mixed opinions for and against the sidewalks.
- Mr. Roscoe announced that the last Freedom Trail Feasibility Study was held on Feb10th with approximately 40 public participants. The total cost estimate is $4.2 million.
- Valley Park -
- Mr. Morrisson attended the last planning commission meeting. The group discussed the possibility to remove the retaining wall from the plans. Committee will review and decide if the wall will remain at the next meeting on March 7th.
- Mr. O’Dell plans to cut back the cattails and phragmites in early spring.
- Medal of Honor Grove – EAC adopted Maine Acre
- Mr. O’Dell will develop a list/schedule of work needed at the Grove to for review at the next EAC meeting.
- Nolen Property on Pawling’s Road
- Pohlig Builders - Reeves Property/Planned Residential Development (PRDO)
- The University of Valley Forge Conference Center- Harmony Village at Valley Forge
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the VP of grounds and facilities would like to re-zone the parcel. Current zone is R-1 to AR (administrative research). Next meeting March 7th.
- EAC Reorganization
- Alternate Position Open.
- Mr. O’Dell will write a letter to BOS to recommend Tom Heisey to the EAC.
- EAC Township Forum on March 24th at the Phoenixville CC
- “Planting with Purpose” by guest speakers Edie Parnum and Barbara Eliot
- VF Audubon Society’s Backyard for Nature Program
- Handout to include EAC definition/purpose (JO), Ordinances: Native plants subdivision and land development ordinance, Lighting, NRCO, List of Activities and Achievements: Valley Park (JO), Bird Town/Rain Garden/Butterfly Garden (MEH), Native Plants in SALDO, Natural Heritage Inventory (SK), ERI/Riparian buffers (SK), Trails (MR), Medal of Honor Grove (JO), and the details for the Great American Clean up date, time and location.
- Completion date 07May2016
- A separate survey may be handed out at the meeting to ask residents ideas for the next EAC township workshop.
- Would you like more speakers/presentations like tonight’s forum?
- Would you like different speakers/presentations?
- Do you know any speakers/presentations?
- EAC stream naming objective
- Mr. Kunz to write to BOS that the EAC is interested in naming all unnamed streams in the township.