Environmental Advisory Council
MEETING DATE: January 24, 2017
EAC Members: Michelle Garg, Mary Ellen Heisey, Tom Heisey, Steve Kunz, Jerry O’Dell, & Michael Roscoe
Board of Supervisors (BOS): Barbara Cohen, Susan Guerette, Martha Majewski, Jim Morrisson, Fred Perry
Public Participation: Dorothy Bedford
Meeting called to order at 7:31pm. Meeting adjourned at 8:57pm.
- EAC Meeting Summary Approval
- The meeting summary of the November 2016 meeting was read and approved.
- Mr. Perry, on behalf of the BOS, thanked the EAC for all hard work and contributions.
- Ms. Cohen announced the National Watch and Clock Museum presentation in Columbia, PA on March 14th at 7:30 pm.
- Ms. Cohen announced that PennDOT has a program called Paths that will donate the pieces of historical bridges that are being rebuilt. The Phoenix columns from the Ross Fording Bridge crossing the Octoraro Creek is one of those bridges. EAC will consider the feasibility for use of these parts within the township.
- Ms. Heisey announced the Great American Backyard Bird Count workshop will be held, February 4, 2017 at 9:30 – 10:30 am at the Township Building.
- Mr. O’Dell announced that the Land Ethics Symposium will be held on March 9, 2017 at Delaware Valley University, Doylestown, PA. Mr. & Mrs. Heisey plan to attend this year.
- Mr. O’Dell announced the Schuylkill Watershed Congress will be held on March 11 at Montgomery County Community College, Pottstown, PA.
- Mr. O’Dell announced the Environmental Advisory Council Network 2017 Conference dates on May 4-6, 2017 at Doubletree Resort in Lancaster, PA.
- Mr. Morrisson announced he is the township rep for PSAT which will be held from April 23-26, 2017. He mentioned the agenda will include storm water management.
Reports/Updates on Ongoing Business
- Dorothy Bedford from the township Historical Commission informed the EAC that she met with neighbors and other members of the community to gain some of the historical informal stream names. The Historical commission workshop will be held at the township building on Tuesday February 21, 2017 @ 7pm.
- Bird Town -
- Ms. Heisey announced Mr. Saffier would like to be placed on the EAC agenda for 10-15min to focus on the proliferation of Bird Town. Ms. Heisey will propose the next two EAC meetings to him for his selection.
- Ms. Heisey volunteered to attend the Green Team meeting on Feb 13th to introduce the team to the Great Backyard Bird Count.
- Ms. Heisey announced that she will take the tree tenders course this year.
- Environmental Resources Inventory (ERI) -
- Mr. Kunz would like to correct one item in the wetland map.
- Great American Cleanup
- Date April 29, 2017 from 8-10. Location is TBD.
- Pickering Preserve -
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the BOS approved an easement to “The Stove Shop”. The easement will allow for storage of firewood for an undetermined amount of time.
- Name Unnamed Streams Project -
- See above under public participation.
- Trails Committee -
- Ms. Majewski presented the updated multimodal trail. The RR names will be updated to Norfolk Southern.
- Phoenixville Borough kick off meeting will be held on January 26, 2017 at Borough building.
- Valley Park -
- Ms. Majewski announced that the development plan still needs NPDES approval.
- Native Plant List-
- Mr. Heisey volunteered to review and update the current native plant list for accuracy based on information from the PA DCNR. He will request the BOS to review the updates prior to publishing the list.
- Nolen Property- Pawlings Road
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the conservation easement agreement is in place.
- Pohlig Builders - Reeves Property/Planned Residential Development (PRD)
- The University of Valley Forge Conference Center
- Chester County Intermediate Unit at the Technical College High School
- EAC Structure
- EAC 2017 Meeting dates
- Meeting Dates: 01/24, 02/28, 03/28, 04/25, 05/23, 06/27, 07/25, 08/22, 09/26, 10/24, 11/28, no December meeting.
- Quarterly Newsletter Article Deadlines
- Term Re-instatement
- Mr. O’Dell announced on behalf of Mr. Kunz that he agreed to accept his term re-appointment.
- New Business
- Mr. Perry thanked Mr. O’Dell for his help in reviewing the landscape installation at the new PASD site.
- January 2017 Reorganization
- Chair: Jerry O’Dell, Vice-Chair: Steve Kunz, Secretary: Michelle Garg and Treasurer: Tom Heisey.