Open Space Commission
Mission: Schuylkill Township’s Open Space Commission (OSC) seeks to maintain and enhance the quality of life and character of the Township through preservation and conservation of our natural landscapes, benefiting present and future generations of our citizens. The Commission consists of seven volunteer members appointed by the Board of Supervisors. The Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on parcels of land to be acquired for conservation purposes. The OSC is composed of seven volunteer residents of Schuylkill Township appointed by the Board of Supervisors.
To apply for an open position on the OSC, please fill out our Volunteer Application and send it with a letter of interest to the Township Manager. If you are applying for a specific and currently open position, you will be notified by the Township Manager’s Office following the application deadline whether you are being considered by the applicable entity. If you are submitting an application to be considered in the future as openings occur, you will be contacted by Township staff when the vacancy is announced in order to confirm your interest in this specific opportunity.
Meetings: 7:30 p.m. on the last Monday of each month.
BOS Liaison: Jim Morrisson
Commission: 5 Members & 2 Alternates 3-Year Term
|Member||Term Expiration||Date Appointed||Date Reappointed|
|Bob Mauch - Chair||January 2019||January 2007||January 2016|
|Bob Cooney||January 2019||January 2007||January 2016|
|Bereth Graeff||January 2020||January 2008||January 2017|
|Robert Kahn||January 2018||January 2012||January 2015|
|Tim McAvoy||January 2021||n/a||n/a|
|Bud Emig - Alternate||January 2019||January 2007||January 2016|
|Claudia Kiernan - Alternate||January 2020||n/a||n/a|
Open Space Conserved to Date
Municipal Complex xxx acres township-owned
Pickering Preserve xxx acres township-owned
Valley Park Park xxx acres township-owned
Phoenixville Country Club xxx acres conservation easement
Pickering Valley Golf Club xxx acres conservation easement
Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge xxx acres conservation easement
Open Space Selection Criteria
- A property 10 acres or greater, or any number of contiguous properties that in aggregate equal or exceed 10 acres with or without common ownership.
- A property 20 acres or greater, or any number of continuous properties that in aggregate equal or exceed 20 acres with or without common ownership.
- The property is contiguous either to a current or potentially future preserved tract, or to tracts described in Criterion 1 or 2.
- The property is eligible and timing appropriate for grant funding.
- The property is in imminent or near-term danger of development (a “crisis property”).
- The property preserves and/or expands open space adjacent to or between communities.
- The property owner is willing to engage in the open space process.
- The property should be preserved due to its compelling or unique environmental significance (including but not limited to water resources, wildlife or wildlife habitat, forest lands, botanical or geological features, etc.).
- The property is suitable for preserve, recreation or scenic easement
- The property represents a potential trail linkage or Greenway.